Monday, May 25, 2015

Upper left 2nd molar RCT or Implant


I have been getting different answers by two of my personal dentists (both general DDS) on treatment of my upper left 2nd molar that has sensitivity. Planning ahead I have asked my uncle (DDS, doesn't do implants) and he said that he normally doesn't do RCT on upper 2nd molar because of location and multi canals. My normal doctor said she will refer me out if I want an implant, but can do a RCT. Is this odd? My uncle's not willingness to do RCT. Is it a sign that a Endo should do it? Can general DDS do implant upper 2nd molar?


Before determining treatment, one must  determine the pulp status of the tooth. How many seconds does the  pain to cold linger after ice is put on it then removed? If 3-5 seconds try a desensitizing toothpaste that has 5% Potasium Nitrate, if pain lingers 15-20 seconds the pulp is dying and a root canal or extraction can be done. If the dentists you have seen have not properly tested the tooth ( hot, cold, Elec Pulp Test, percussion, Xray) have them do these tests or see an endodontist who should do them as a standard routine. Once you know that the tooth pulp needs treatment you can decide RCT vs Extraction then decide if you want to replace #15 or not. Good Luck
Poster


    No comments:

    Post a Comment